I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

February 26, 2012

TWO WHO PROTECTED ME


... winter of 1958, our first in alaska ... mike had just attained tenderfoot rank, by the time he left scouting he would have earned pretty much all the merit badges, ribbons, and ranks ... coming from florida and knowing nothing about snow, i had learned quite painfully that going outside in the cold with my feet clad only in my red rubber boots, sans socks, was not exactly the smartest thing to do, to the point that i froze all my toes so solid that ma had to thaw 'em out in a pail of warm water ... to this day i have to make sure my feet are warmed up before i go out in the cold ... alvin the wonder dog had just joined us, not as a "pet" but as the fourth sibling in our merry little band ... seeing him here in mike's arms, it's hard to believe there would come the time he would put his life at risk to save me from a ravenous grizzly bear, or that i would remain forever sad at his leaving ...

ARGUS C3-CINTAR 50MM-F/5.6-1/100TH-EKTACHROME-ISO 80