I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

September 8, 2021

"A Sad Song in de Air"

 ... for a little wanderabout that's been in the to-do file for some time, john loaded his canoe atop his car and we headed north into the woods to to see the "onawa lake trestle" ... from beyond the distant point we paddled over a mile to the lake's outlet ...
 
 
... over 1200 feet long, this remarkable structure allows locomotives pulling stock filled with pulp wood to traverse 130 feet above the ship pond stream's rocky gorge ...

... after viewing the trestle i spent about a half-hour using my 24mm wide-angle to do some close-up photography ...
 

... i was fascinated by the line detail in these leaves ...
 

... summer's ending is gently proclaimed ...
 

... five frames, focus-stacked and hdr merged, well worth almost poking my eye out ...
 
 
... while i was wandering about in the forest john had hiked up to the other end of the trestle ... i was going to do so, too, but accepted his wisdom that my bum knees and the step incline wouldn't make a pleasant combination, so we paddled back to the boat landing ... a strong breeze and wave chop resisting us, i was quite proud when john said i'd done a good job managing "5 out of 10" conditions ... i could hear pa smile ...
 

... after a nice swim we hiked the track ballast to the end of this most impressive span ...
 

... as i walked onto the trestle i noticed some sort of sign, but, alas, without my reading glasses all i could make out was "no tr- ..." — hmmmm, probably said, "no trains without permit" or something like that ... the trees below are 25-30 feet tall ... !!! ...
 

... from the center of the span  ...
 

... a most beautiful spot, now forever etched onto my "most favorite places" list ...
 

De railroad bridge's
A sad song in de air.
De railroad bridge's
A sad song in de air.
Ever time de trains pass
I wants to go somewhere.

I went down to de station.
Ma heart was in ma mouth.
Went down to de station.
Heart was in ma mouth.
Lookin' for a box car
To roll me to de South.

Homesick blues, Lawd,
'S a terrible thing to have.
Homesick blues is
A terrible thing to have.
To keep from cryin'
I opens ma mouth an' laughs.
 
LANGSTON HUGHES