I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

July 8, 2012

RIVER OF NO RETURN

WITTNAUER FESTIVAL-STEINER 45MM-EKTACHROME-ISO 80

... august of 1958, for sure, since the slide mount is dated ... having arrived in anchorage sometime in early summer, perhaps a week or so before the congress passed the statehood act on june 30th, by august my father was obviously well into the process of exploring every road, path, and ancient native trail he could somehow manage to negotiate with our little car ... of course, this meant that even at the tender age of seven i'd already been assigned the responsibility of "holding the lug nuts" while he and my brother changed out a tire slashed open by a knife-like chunk of rocky road debris ... no real clue as to where this was taken, but i wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was somewhere on the kenai peninsula ... two facts i do remember:  first, something you may find difficult to believe, at this point in my life i had not yet learned to properly swim, and, second, as i very, very clearly recall, no matter where it was pa wanted to pose us to snap a picture, my brother always stood between me and the current or edge of the precipice ... here, he's relaxed because he was without fear, while i'm smiling because i know i'm safe ...