I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

August 11, 2014

SUPER DUPER WICKED BIG MOON

... coming back from grocery shopping, i'd parked the car in front of the building so i could unload the bags from the trunk ... after finishing packing the frozen stuff into the freezer, i remembered that tonight was a "super moon," and that robert's workers had just finished installing the new zombie apocalypse escape hatch, so i grabbed my camera and climbed up to the roof ...

... there, floating over winslow, was a most beautiful luna ...

... my "sorta plan" was to get up early and take a picture of the moonset, but before going to bed i checked the moonrise/sunrise calculator and found that in the morning by the time the moon was going to be near the horizon the sun would already have risen, which, alas, i knew would be a situation in which photography would be near impossible ...

... nevertheless, about thirty minutes ago i awoke and wandered into my living room ... high in the western sky the moon was still clear, so i decided to give a try at using a forty-five year year-old wicked cheapie kalimar 500mm/f8 "cat" lens ... (a "catadioptric" lens is one in which mirrors are used to "fold" the optical path ... in this case, the lens is a basic schmidt-cassegrain design) ...

... not bad, which, of course is to say that the image is probably not as good as what galileo galilei saw in the early-1600s when for the first time the moon was viewed through a telescope ... even so, however, that was enough for humanity's perception of the universe to be forever radically altered ... that the church violently resisted this transformation of vision attests to the fact that it also portended a fundamental change in our philosophical relationship with nature ...

... nevermind all that ... expensive litter and messy footprints in the primal dust aside:

Blue moon
You saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love on my own

Blue moon
You knew just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will ever hold
I heard somebody whisper, "Please adore me"
And when I looked the moon had turned to gold

Blue moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Blue moon
You saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Blue moon
You knew just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for

And then they suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will ever hold
I heard somebody whisper, "Please adore me"
And I looked the moon had turned to gold

Blue moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own
Blue moon

LORENZ HART & RICHARD RODGERS

... i was right, still well above the horizon the new day is erasing the moon ... i wonder what i'll dream ...