I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

June 8, 2015

RI WANDERING

... after waking this morning the first thing i did was go out to snap some pictures of beth's flowers ... a rather blustery wind, unusual for this time of year, made the task a bit difficult ... camera to my eye, it was several minutes patiently waiting before these flowers calmed to a waltz slow enough that my nikon's shutter could capture their fine detail ...

... cosmos, to a bee, heaven ...

... in the back yard, clematis ramona growing through the lattice fence, always one of my favorites ...

... normally, these flowers would've been awake long before i got out of bed, but the unusually cool early summer we're experiencing allowed me to catch this one slumbering away the morning ... i can tell you these are peony flowers because as i write my sister in law, beth, is sitting across from me ...

... mike took me out to eat at a restaurant/bar in jamestown ... the fish & chips was done to perfection, the coffee in a mug so large that i was allowed the pleasure of four cups of coffee without violating my daily "two cup" rule ...

... we hiked to the rocky bluffs at fort wetherill ... when i was in college i had a friend who lived for some of the year in the maze of underground passages that connected parts of the fort, now those tunnels have been barred or filled in and this once abandoned and overgrown area is now a state park ... the beauty of this intrusive quartzite vein is one of my very first memories of rhode island ... (diving from the rocks into the sea, according to many signs and placards now forbidden, is another) ... 

... if you know my brother, you'll applaud me for capturing an image of him with neither sneer, blink, nor scrunched up facial expression ...

... from the beavertail, looking out to sea ... it was sailing along this coast in 1524 that giovonni verranzzanno noted, "it appears as big as the isle of rhodes," giving what would become the smallest of the states a part of the longest of names, officially "the state of rhode island and providence plantations" ... on these rocks, in the many times i've visited during the past fifty years not once have i been able to but force myself to leave ...