I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

November 12, 2012

A NOVEMBER RIDE


OLYMPUS E-P1 PROJECT
... i woke up pre-dawn to a cold, damp fog that made me lose faith in the afternoon forecast promising "warm with scattered clouds" ... back to bed, only to have roger call, "so, are you ready to go" ... he's willing to ride in what i consider to be winter conditions, partly because his bike has a wind fairing and heated handgrips, but mostly because he's nuts about riding ... me, of course, i've an aversion to any  ride requiring at its end a visit to the emergency room for hypothermia treatment, so i wished him well and turned over for a bit more shuteye ... when i awoke it was 65ยบ out, more a normal summer temperature than is usual in maine this time of year ... i donned long-johns, grabbed my new riding jacket, and headed down to mt. vernon to get my bike ...

... i did a nice circle, up around jay, then back roads to farmington, where i enjoyed a late breakfast/lunch at the irving station ... after that it was route 2 to to new sharon, up and over the cape cod hill road, then a bit or a race with the setting sun back to mount vernon ... 120 miles, what a treat ...

OLYMPUS E-P1 PROJECT
... me, all bundled up ... i'd found a combination cold-weather/rain jacket i liked online at the motorcycle superstore, but the $240 price tag put it on my "someday" list ... while doing some grocery shopping at sam's club i found this jacket for $49 ... it's pretty much exactly the same as the "motorcycle" gear, except it doesn't have armor pads in the elbows and shoulders ... it fits perfectly, is snug and warm, quite versatile, and, equally important, it fits into my make-do-or-do-without motorcycling budget ... cross fingers, it's going to be perfect for the long-distance trips i've planned for next spring ...