I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

May 3, 2015

EAST BOOTHBAY EVENING

... eric and i took a motorcycle ride up to bingham ... we had a wonderful lunch at thompson's, enjoyed a rather scorching roller coaster journey along route 16 to anson, then did a slow wander back to waterville ... quick change into street clothes, then john picked me up so we could cruise in his new car down to east boothbay for a bit of picture taking ... on the shore i found this interesting bit of flotsam ... john informed me that when he was a kid even during the highest tides the tops of these rocks remained above the water, now the seaweed and algae tell of a new chapter in our climatic times ...

... huge rocks, consisting of some of nature's most enduring material, ever so slowly being ground into beach sand ...

... it took a bit of searching, but eventually i found the very tiny vantage from which the ram island light and the american flag appeared a pleasing composition ...

... thinking of my knees, i watched as john carefully negotiated the seaweed draped rocks in his search for a new perspective of the lighthouse ...

... we met this most charming couple ... with matching tripods, but totally different ways in which they applied their eyes to the landscape, they shared this very special place, and, in doing so, deepened its sublime singularity ...

... in the very same spot as when he was a child, as he did then, john disappeared himself into the beach stones ...

"I do not know what I may appear to the world,
but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore,
and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble
or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth
lay all undiscovered before me."
ISAAC NEWTON

... here i am reminded, while we may not be able to return to childhood,
it is ours to remember we need not leave it behind ...

... heading home along route one, john looked in the mirror and quickly pulled into a parking space on wiscasset's maine street ... as i'm sure ansel adams would title it:

Moonrise Over Red's Eats
WISCASSET, MAINE

... being a photographer, at times, is to suspend the rules ...

... what a nice day ...