I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

May 12, 2014

SATURDAY

... this saturday i photographed trish and jd's wedding ... for many reasons it was a most delightful day ...

 ... most important, i've know trish and her family for a long time ... they are nice people, and jd seems a perfect addition to the clan ...

... also, i went to the wedding "equipment light" ... i've always approached such events with two giant black bags filled with a great assortment of photographic gear ... regular flash, extra regular flash, big flashes, extra big flashes, huge battery packs for the big flashes, cords, extra cords—well, i'm sure you get the picture ... several months ago i decided to change my approach to wedding photography, a reflection of many things, including the changing relationship society has with photography ...

... for this wedding i took two cameras (one a backup), two flashes (one a backup), and two lenses (you got it, one a backup) ... that's it ... needless to say, although i normally begin a wedding with a healthy amount of nervousness, saturday i experienced some new variations of that feeling ...

... in addition, this was the first wedding for which i used the nikon d7000, and my very first gig with my brand-new 18-200mm zoom ... even with my brother taking me to the venue the day before for a bit of practice shooting, still i was biting my nails more than usual ...

... another reason making the day so great was that my brother gave my services to the bride as a wedding gift ... compensation for the help he gave me long ago when my life was doing a bit of rapid back flipping, it is to me as if he were about to scale a great rock face and he said, "would you belay me" ... such trust, it is a great honor ...

... finally, adding to all this, trish's wedding was, as we all like to hear the bruin's announcer screaming, a "hat trick" ... one family, three daughters, three weddings, three times i've been privileged to serve as the photographer ... i keep track of such things, this was my fifth triple ...

... anyhow, i'm having a nice time in rhode island ... not that my waistline needs it, but mike and beth seem to be running their very own five-star restaurant ... i've meet the nice couple for whom i'll be photographing their wedding in a few weeks ... i fixed the failed resistor on my motorcycle, so i'll have lights on the way home ... and my hay fever's beginning to act up a bit, which means, to paraphrase dr. king, "spring at last, spring at last, thank god almighty, spring at last" ...

 





... yes, for sure, saturday was an especially wonderful day ...