I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

July 27, 2014

WANDERING WEEKS MILLS

... awoke with a migraine being born within my skull ... at first i blamed the domino's pizza alison brought me for supper last night, since i know the "crisp browned edges" are the result of layers of measuredly applied chemical sprays, but then i remembered that when i was cleaning my motorcycle's rims yesterday evening i'd gotten my hands soaked with "gum remover" ... over forty years ago sensitized by daily drenchings of toluene, methyl-ethyl-ketone, and trichlorotrifluoroethane [yes, i had to research the spelling of the last], i'm sure this cleaning agent was the cause of my headache, so, dear alison, i apologize ...

... anyhow, despite the brewing brain pain, i decided to go about my day as planned ... an early morning ride to portland, where i dropped off my macbook air to have the trackpad replaced, then a ride with eric ... several ibuprofens kept the pounding in my head to tolerable levels, but even as we headed out from his house i knew i needed a major dose of caffeine ... driving north we came upon road barriers closing down the highway through richmond, seems today was some sort of street fair ... following the detour i noticed a little restaurant and pulled over ...

... inside sara, our very friendly waitress, said, "can i start you with something to drink" ... my response was, "yup, coffee ... lots of coffee ... in fact, if you've got some sort of a gimongous mug, that'd be even better" ... i also ordered a club sandwich, because, after all, one of my goals is to try out club sandwiches in every town in america ... fast service, sara returned and served us ...
... i was half-way through my yummy sandwich before i thought, this deserves recording ... for scale, when looking at the coffee cup keep in mind that minus a bite that's one-half of a full-sized piece of rye bread ... my guess would be that the cup held sixteen ounces of most excellent medium-roast pure columbian joe ... [actually, in the picture is ounces number seventeen through thirty-two] ... when sara brought me the cup, property of one of the morning "regulars," i asked, "are you married" ... "no," she replied ... "well," i said, "this just might do it, for sure" ...

... later, going through gardiner, i snapped a shot of eric negotiating the famous brunswick avenue s-curve ...

... wandering around back of weeks mills, i found a nice spot to take a few more pictures ...

... i even captured a cool poster shot ...

... then, after a quick lesson in the use of a camera with way too many buttons and dials, eric sat along the side of the road to give it a go ...

... what great fun, even if we were reminded of the last time we stopped to take pictures, crossing a mountain pass in nova scotia, when the result was two motorcycles getting blown off the road ...

... after eric turned back to his house i headed north ... in augusta i determined my headache was gone for good, so i decided to drop by carl and jane's in mt. vernon ... i found c.j. using his new toy to work on the trim ...
... i want one of these ... i could tow it behind my car for some serious vantage point enhancement while picture taking ... after enjoying a dip in the lake, jane and i chatted for awhile, then she asked, "do you want to stay for supper" ... she always asks that as an actual question ... silly girl ... 

... what a nice day ...