I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

August 26, 2012

SEADOG SUNSET

OLYMPUS E-PL1 PROJECT
... c.j. and the girls invited me to go to a seadog's game in portland on friday night ... i had a wedding the next day, and my normal behavior mode for an evening before such would've been to worry and fret about all the mistakes i could make, but, unusual for sure, i accepted the offer ... so, after spending most of friday morning checking, rechecking, and rechecking again each and every piece of my equipment, i motored out to the lake to take an afternoon swim before we headed down to portland ...

OLYMPUS E-PL1 PROJECT
... it was beautiful out, one of those late summer blessings g*d seems to offer us for putting up with the many days of nasty weather with which new england can sometimes seem to be cursed ... baseball in a small stadium on a cool august evening, the aroma of popcorn and peanuts mixing with the smell of fresh cut grass, the coolness of the breeze balanced perfectly by the warmth of the crowd, laughter, applause, and, at the crack of a long drive soaring towards center field, the multitude's muted gasp as the ball rises, rises, rises, in silent soar allowing for a moment the collective belief that newton was wrong, that gravity is but an illusion to be dispelled by the hurculean swing of a magic wand ...

NIKORMAT FT-SIGMA 400MM-F/8-1/500TH-TRI X-ISO400
... i had challenged myself, of course, attending a ball game without bringing a nikon d200 with my beloved sigma 100-300mm zoom ... my first thought, at taking my seat, was that with that lens i could've been snapping closeups of the batters, such as i used to take while perched atop a dugout at fenway park ...

OLYMPUS E-PL1 PROJECT
... but, reminding myself of the whole point of my little project, i sat very still in my seat and asked myself, "right now, right in front of my eyes, where is there a story being told" ... fans who count such things say that when no runner reaches first base, "27 up, 27 down," it is a "perfect" game ... here, i think, is proof that the play on the field is only a setting for perfection ...

"It was at the ballpark where I first began to understand that my father wasn't just my father."
G.BROWN