I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

December 6, 2014

ON A DREARY DAY OUTSIDE, INSIDE A BOOKSTORE WITH A NEW CAMERA

... still not twenty-four hours in my hands, more and more i'm finding this little fujifilm x-e1 to be a most fascinating camera ... most delightful, its fit in my hands is already beginning to match the first camera i ever purchased with my own money, an olympus-35 sp, and it's possible the x-e1 will match the "gold standard," my classic 1958 nikon s2 rangefinder ...

... i bought the olympus in 1970 while i was in london, to this day it is considered one of the best "affordable" 35mm rangefinders ... the nikon was one of those "i must have it" things, in 1974 it cost me almost one-half of one of my monthly military pay checks ...

... the x-e1 is svelte in my hands ... it is, for me, at least, a mechanism that begs to be held ...

... perhaps a tad bit too small, once i get the leather bottom case i think it's going to be a perfect fit ...

... after i'd opened the store and gotten the coffee brewed, i stepped outside to try the camera in what is currently passing for daylight ...

... robert arrived and i managed my first "snapshot" ...

... while he settled in i wander upstairs to the "children's book cellar" to continue the process of getting acquainted with the x-e1 ...

... there're all sorts of fascinating things on display ...

... one hundred years old, if these bricks could speak imagine the stories they would tell ...

... a camera can be a tool for seeing like a child ...

... the children's bookcellar, in all its charm, is a reflection of its owner, ellen ...

... roger stopped in for a visit ...

... as did john, who used the x-e1 to snap a picture of me ...

... i wandered around re-books, seeing ...

... my nemesis, i am forever frustrated voiding sales and loading new paper rolls ....


... unlike the big box bookstores, re-books has live-in residents ...

... me and my new fujifilm x-e1, to quote the greatest of greats, "i think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship" ...