I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

December 5, 2014

NEW CAMERA!!!!

... thank you, unnamed friend, for purchasing my precious olympus e-p1 ... thank you, liz and adrien, for offering to support me in selecting my own christmas present ... and, always, thank you waterville federal credit union, for serving as a piggy bank and hiding a couple of year's worth of spare change ...

... my fujifilm x-e1 arrived this afternoon ... lens, case, and other accessories are to follow in the next few days, but most fortunately arriving yesterday was the precisely machined adapter that allows me to mount 25+ year-old olympus zuiko lenses to this modern digital camera ... still many chapters of the instruction manual to digest, but i've already become quite comfortable with the e1 ... having owned a classic m3 double-stroke leica, i feel i'm qualified to say that i think this little camera is going to compare quite favorably ...

... it took me quite some time (and, yes, a bit of referencing in the aforementioned instruction manual) to get the camera to take a picture ... seems that for using old-fashioned manual lenses one must dig way down into the camera's menu structure to find a selection "take picture without lens" ... weirdly labeled, i think, but maybe it's just one of those translation things ... here's my first picture with the camera ...

... my favorite lamps at iso 1200, manual focus and exposure ...

... roger came over to talk about next summer's wanderabout ... while he discussed all the motorcycle museums he wanted us to visit i snapped a picture ...

... i was thinking b&w, but the skin tones in the original are evidence that fuji is telling the truth about the merits of its "x-trans" sensor array when compared to the [old-fashioned] more typical bayer arrangement ...

... finally, a quick snap with a thirty year-old zuiko 50mm macro lens ...

... oh, is this ever going to be fun ... bonus, of course, is that even as i play with this old glass somewhere in the air between here and hong kong there's a modern auto-focus fujifilm 16-50mm zoom lens with my name attached ...

... so much fun ...