I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

November 21, 2014

LATELY

... most of my life making the adjustment to the winter season was a gradual affair, one marked only by the chore of digging out after the first measurable accumulation of snow, and, usually coincidental to that event, the realization that one of my gloves had gone a.w.o.l. during the summer ... now, having just put my motorcycle away, i find this seasonal transition a most jarring and unpleasant situation ... i'll get used to it, i know, if for now other reason that i must, but i can't stop wondering if it would be worth it to put studded tires on my bmw ...

... in the meantime, here's a little sampling of what's been going on lately ...

... from my apartment window, what might've been the last of autumn's sunsets spotlighting the clouds above the western horizon ...

... from the outing john and i took to witness the launching of his children's sailboat, here i am perched atop pemaquid's pegmatite outcropping ... as i say often, in the whole world one of my favorite places ...

... and, from another outing john and i shared, two trees together holding against the erosive current of a little brook out in albion ...

... eric, robert and i went over to roger's to help him move his 50 year-old 150cc vespa scooter down into his basement, where during the winter he will continue the process of rebuilding and restoring it to out-of-the-showroom condition ...

 ... always wise to consider murphy's law corollary #4, "the amount of work accomplished is often inversely proportional to the number of hands involved," i decided i would be more useful chronicling the event ... (my energy conservation plan failed somehow, for i ended up being the "lift person" as the scooter was lowered down the stairs) ...

... eric and i met for lunch at the a1 diner in gardiner ... after a nice meal i strolled the main street, which is photographically rather intriguing ... i like exploring in reflections the unique two-dimensional layering of "inside" and "outside" worlds ... 

... advertisement, perhaps, but i like to believe dancing girls left these shoes to rest, otherwise how could it be so obvious they are softly awaiting the feet which will bring them to their life ...

... insulated, i think she'd forgotten windows connect, not separate, worlds ...

... chad had a meeting in portland, i went with him to have a wanderabout ...  at sunset we went over to the lighthouse ... chad had forgotten his memory card and i hadn't brought my tripod, so for both of us, he with his cell phone camera and me with my nikon hand-held, hopping the fence and descending the rocky bluff was for the purpose of some old-fashioned snapshot photography ...

... if the shutter remains open long enough my nikon d7000 will take pictures in near total darkness ... as i braced the camera atop a fence pole there was very little form visible in this scene, and the only discernible color was the faint yellow of the lighthouse lamp's beam ... i crossed my fingers, let go my breath, and very, very gently depressed the shutter button ...

... as is often the case, there came a time i lowered my camera and just watched ... chad, of course, was stalking me ...

... i took a drive over to new hampshire to spend a day with adrien ... before grocery shopping we took a little drive to witness winter descending upon agiocochook ...

on the drive home i came across a lonely canoe ...

Tu es mon compagnon de voyage!
Je veux mourir dans mon canot
Sur le tombeau, près du rivage, 
Vous renverserez mon canot

When I must leave the great river
O bury me close to its wave
And let my canoe and my paddle
Be the only mark over my grave
Mon Canoe d'écorce