I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

March 21, 2015

"THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES"

... having used pa's clunky old argus and little jewel-like wittnauer festival, i was still surprised when he said to me, "you can take my petri up to the u.s.o. show" ... me—allowed to leave the house with his precious single-lens-reflex camera—i was breathless ...

... after a quick lesson in the use of the clip-on light meter (not shown in the photograph), i was off to one of island life's isolation breakers, the military's annual "bob hope u.s.o." show ... down at the football field where they staged the event, i snuck under the ropes and worked my way into the press section ... after a few minutes one of the military police (with whom i was quite familiar professionally, i must admit) came over to bust me ... as he started to grab my shirt to haul me away, one of the navy photographers turned to him and snarled, "leave the kid alone, he's with me" ... the sky cop started to respond, but after a quick glance at the rows of ribbons on the navy guy's chest he shut his mouth and wandered away ... i glanced at the little colored decorations, gulped, and very, very respectfully said, "thanks, chief" ... "no problem, kid, just make sure you look like you know what you're doing, okay" ... here, with my first use of a "modern" camera, a photograph of bob hope ...

... i loved his movies, but hope on stage i never found all that entertaining ... after the show, however, my friends and i got to hang out with ann margaret, whom i found to be one of the absolutely nicest people i've ever met ... as for the navy photographer, well, that was a most important photography lesson, one i've quite often been most appreciative he took the time to teach ...

... and, how odd, that almost a half-century later my current nikons are, in basic form and function, still pretty much identical to that now ancient petri ...

Thanks for the memory 
Of sentimental verse, nothing in my purse 
And chuckles when the preacher said, "For better or for worse" 
How lovely it was 
Thanks for the memory 
Of Shubert's "Serenade," little things of jade 
And traffic jams and anagrams and bills we never paid 
How lovely it was 
We who could laugh over big things, were parted by only a slight thing 
I wonder if we did the right thing 
Oh, well, that's life, I guess 
I love your dress 
Do you? 
It's pretty 
Thanks for the memory 
Of faults that you forgave, rainbows on a wave 
And stockings in the basin when a fellow needs a shave 
Thank you, so much 
Thanks for the memory 
Of tinkly temple bells, alma mater yells 
And Cuban rum and towels from the very best hotels 
Oh, how lovely it was 
Thanks for the memory 
Of cushions on the floor 
Hash with Dinty Moore 
That pair of gay pajamas that you bought and never wore 
Say, by the way 
Whatever became of those pajamas? 
We said goodbye with a highball 
Then I got as high as a steeple 
Did you? 
But we were intelligent people 
No tears, no fuss, hooray for us 
Strictly entre nous 
Darling, how are you? 
And how are all those little dreams 
That never did come true? 
Awfully glad I met you 
Cheerio and tootle-loo 
Thank you 
Thank you so much
RALPH RAINGER & LEO ROBIN

... bob hope would alter the lyrics of this song to bring to either laughter or tears, or both, the particular audience he was entertaining ...