I appreciate your patience as I revise this site. Comments, thoughts, or just a friendly chat, use the response box below or email me at patrickgroleau@gmail.com.

August 14, 2012

JACQUELINE'S 1ST 100

OLYMPUS E-PL1 PROJECT

... it was only a few days ago that i carefully guided her on her first real road outing, today i joined jacqueline for her first 100-mile motorcycle ride ... we drove back roads to farmington, including a nice run across the top of the chesterfield esker, then followed route 27 up to kingfield, with a stop at the wire bridge in north new portland ... after a tea and chips snack, it was route 142 south along the flank of mighty mount abram and a curvy descent through the mount blue valley down to route 2 ... a short run on that state sponsored race track and it was back roads again to mt. vernon ...

OLYMPUS E-PL1 PROJECT

... we stopped often for sightseeing, both at the indian trading post/museum in north new portland and several scenic vistas along road ... i practiced using my little olympus e-pl1, increasing my understanding of the functioning of what i am rapidly finding to be a marvelous tool ...

OLYMPUS E-PL1 PROJECT

... i am amazed at the capabilities of the camera, especially its performance in low light situations ... approaching this set of leaves, only inches from the guard rail on the side of the highway, my initial thought was, "oh, i wish i had my nikon with the 70mm macro lens" ... then, reminding myself of the point of my "project," i put the thought away and concentrated on using the equipment i was holding in my hand ...

OLYMPUS E-PL1 PROJECT

... here, a small fungus growing on one of the wire bridge's guard rail posts glows in the light of the late afternoon sun ...

OLYMPUS E-PL1 PROJECT

... i had told jane that i would do a family picture before she headed back to ohio, only to find out that she's leaving wednesday ... "okay, i'll bring out my nikon tomorrow" ... then, after a moment reflecting on my project "goals," i corrected myself, "never mind, we'll take the picture this evening with my little olympus" ...

OLYMPUS E-PL1 PROJECT

... "waterskiing and tubin', oh, i should have my super telephoto and – " ... again, i reminded myself that the idea is to take pictures ... no complications, no complexities, just take pictures ...

OLYMPUS E-PL1 PROJECT

... so i finished with what is already a "favorite shot" ... favorite because it's perfectly precious, but also because i saw it happening and didn't stop to think about the camera i wasn't holding, nor, as a matter of fact, did i pay much attention to the one that was in my hands ...

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality.  It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy.
Henri-Cartier Bressen